Monday, November 25, 2013

Mediterranean Chicken with Potatoes, Fennel, and Olives

This was the other chicken dish we had while my mom was here.  She remembered the fennel and lemon, so I'm not sure which she was wanting but here is the other recipe.  This was good.  The kids weren't huge fans of the fennel, but I liked it.  It was different and good.  Probably not a top pick for me, but then again, it has to be an amazing chicken dish to be a top pick for me.  This was definitely different, but a good different -like if you are tired of the same boring chicken, try this.  I liked the fennel and orange combination.  Not something I would ever have thought to put together, but they went well together.  I will note here that the original used butter.  I did not because I am currently eating non-dairy.  The book also gives a nice vignette on olives on this recipe's page - certainly one of my favorite things about American Test Kitchen books.

  • 1 lb potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes 
  • 1 fennel bulb, cored, and sliced thin
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
  • 1 package bone-in split chicken breasts, trimmed (I also removed the skins.  For this meal, I think it would be easy/nice to use boneless, skinless thighs, or something already boned for easy serving since I wasn't shredding them at the end or anything.  Maybe next time.)
  • 1/2 cup pitted salt-cured black olives, rinsed and halved (I may have forgotten to add these at the end.)
Directions

  1. Microwave potatoes, fennel, onion, olive oil, garlic and rosemary in a bowl for 5 minutes stirring midway through cooking.  Pour into slow cooker.  Stir in broth, orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the slow cooker.
  2. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 3-4 hours on low.
  3. Remove chicken and serve.  Stir olives, salt and pepper into veggies and serve.  (Can also add butter or parsley if desired.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails