Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chicken pot pie bundles

The original of this recipe came from my new no whine dinner book.  I changed up the sauce to use stuff I had on hand, and it was so good I'm writing it down this evening.  The only thing I wasn't impressed with is that they took WAY longer to cook than the book stated - like twice as long.  That always annoys me because I'm checking every 2-3  minutes tons of times, and I get everyone ready for dinner way too early, and we eat later than I expect.  So, know these will take at least an hours to prepare and cook - 25-30 minutes in the oven.  (I'm pretty sure - book said 12-15.  I did 12, 3, 3, 2, 3, 2 with maybe another 2 or 3 in there?)  Here is how I made these.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 large carrot peeled and diced (1 cup - I used 1 1/2 carrots to get 1 cup)
  • 1/2 small onion, diced 
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 pinch black pepper
  • couple dashes of poultry seasoning
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 4 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup frozen petite peas
  • 3/4 cup frozen corn
  • grated Parmesan cheese
  • 12 egg roll wraps
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Saute carrot and onion in oil until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook and additional minute.
  2. Sir in chicken, tarragon, salt and pepper.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
  3. Whisk together broth and cornstarch in a bowl.  Add to the skillet with the peas, corn, and a couple of dashes of poultry seasoning.  Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.  Simmer until thickened.
  4. To prepare bundles, place 1 egg roll wrap into each cup letting it extend over the sides. (the books says not to spray the tins with cooking spray, but I think I may try it another time to see if it will help the bottom crisp up a bit.)
  5. Place a heaping 1/4 cup of the chicken mix into each wrap.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Fold corners up and over the top of the filling and press to seal the edges together.  Brush the remaining oil on top of each bundle.  (I may skip this next time and just spray with cooking spray - I've done that before with the same results.)
  6. Bake until golden and crispy on top - this took 25-30 minutes for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails