Wednesday, April 13, 2011

West African Peanut Chicken

This recipe is from another book I have checked out of the library called family feasts for $75 a week.  I saw it recommended on Amazon.com when looking to buy $5 dinner mom's book.  It has been OK so far.  I think I prefer $5 dinner mom just because for the most part it is a bit healthier.  However, some of the recipes in family feasts have been interesting.  That author has adopted kids from other countries, so she has tried to make dishes from those countries - hence the West African food.  All I had to do was tell my oldest (black) child it was African and he decided he loved it - even though at first glance it was like - ewww what is this???So that was good.  I did like this recipe.  It seemed like it should have been served over rice or noodles, but it did have enough substance to stand alone.  I would just probably put it over something if making it again.  I enjoyed the unique flavors, and I think (problem with  not blogging right away -we ate this 1 week ago)  most of the kids ate it OK.  (other than the 2 yr. old who wouldn't even tough the chicken I picked out of the dish for him.)
I made a couple of changes - used less oil, a bit less onion, and omitted the cayenne pepper.  I think I probably also reduced the salt, but I can't remember.  This is how I made it - using pre-cooked, chopped chicken for speed, as well as dehydrated, red and green peppers.  Made this meal a snap to put together.
So, it is quick, unique, and has a good deal of veggies - good meal if you ask me.



Ingredients
  • 1-2 Tablespoons oil
  • 2-3 cups pre-cooked, chopped chicken
  • 1 -1.5 large onions, pureed in food processor
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (I tossed them in the food processor with the onion)
  • 3 cups pureed tomatoes -I used canned pureed tomatoes, and they were quite thick.  I had to add water.  Next time I will just use crushed tomatoes.  1 large can (can't remember the size but not the 15 oz.)
  • 1 cup water (I used more like I said - if using crushed tomatoes you may be able to omit this??)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1-2 teaspoons salt (original is 1 Tablespoon but I can't think that I put that much in.)
  • 1 green pepper seeded and diced - I used 1/2 cup dehydrated - rehydrated with 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
Directions
  1. Heat oil over high heat.  (cook chicken if not using pre-cooked - remove and set aside.)  Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are soft and begin to brown.  Add pureed tomatoes and 1 cup water.  Reduce heat, bring to a simmer and simmer for a few minutes.  (This is when I chopped my tomatoes)
  2. Add chicken to the pot, stir in peanut butter until it is well incorporated.  Add pepper and salt.  Simmer over low heat 10-15 minutes.  (Here I cleaned up and set the table.)
  3. Stir in bell pepper and tomatoes, simmer 3-4 more minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails