Sunday, April 3, 2011

Honey Baked Lentils

This is a recipe out of $5 dinner Mom's cookbook.  I only made a couple of small changes for our tastes and to make things easy.  I was very afraid it wouldn't work out because I burned my lentils to the bottom of the pan, plus I haven't been a huge fan of lentils in the past, but the combination of the lentils, honey, mustard and bacon was very good.  This was surprisingly well liked by all, and I would make it again, but probably make 1.5 cups lentils.  Here's how I made this

Ingredients

  • 1 cup lentils (I just used regular)
  • 4 slices bacon (I used pre-cooked but I still microwaved them to crisp them up.)
  • 2 Tablespoons mustard
  • pinch ginger
  • 1 Tablespoon dehydrated onion flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 cups brown rice
Directions

  1. Cook lentils by placing in a medium saucepan with 3 cups water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  (Mine burned because I got distracted and let them boil for a while before putting the lid on - thus reducing my water - Normally this would not be a problem.)  
  2. Cook brown rice according to package directions.  (I tossed mine in the rice cooker.)
  3. Crisp up bacon in the microwave if desired.  I put it in on paper towel for 30 seconds.  Crumble or chop
  4. Preheat oven to 350.  In a small bowl mix mustard, ginger, salt, dehydrated onion and 1 cup of water.  
  5. When the lentils are cooked, place in an 8 X 8 baking dish.  Pour mustard/water mixture and 1/2 of the bacon over the lentils.  Mix.  Sprinkle with the remaining bacon.  Drizzle with honey.  
  6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbling.  Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails