Thursday, March 1, 2012

bowtie alfredo with broccoli

Here's another quick and easy meal that was enjoyed by everyone.  Benjamin had seconds and then thirds.  (That is awesome because usually at dinner he looks at the dinner and says I don't like it before even trying it.)  I found this idea in my six o'clock scramble book as well.  I didn't really make many if any changes, but I am posting because I do have suggestions for next time.  Alone this sauce was absolutely delicious, but mixed with the pasta, I thought it lost too much flavor so I'd like it to have a bit more flavor and would up the Parmesan, and garlic next time, maybe even an bit more salt and pepper.  As it was this time, we just topped it with additional Parmesan.    I loved that this made a lot - enough for left overs - even with 3/4 boys having seconds.  That is always nice. (especially when the food is good.)

Ingredients

  • 1 package (16 oz) bowtie pasta
  • 1/2 pound broccoli florets (I actually used some frozen that I had that needed to be used up.  I probably threw in a good 2-3 cups worth - not sure the weight)
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (can also use cottage cheese)
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1/2 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 teaspoon chopped garlic (use 1 1/2 -2 next time)
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (use 1/2 cup next time)
  • 1/2 cup chopped Walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Cook pasta according to directions on box, adding broccoli during the last 2 minutes of the cooking time.  (Since my broccoli was frozen and caused my water to completely stop boiling, I did cook it a little longer than my original pasta cooking time - just until the broccoli was done.)  
  2. While the pasta is cooking, combine ricotta, yogurt, butter, garlic, walnuts, Parmesan cheese, basil, pepper and salt in a food processor.  Blend/process until smooth.
  3. When the pasta and broccoli are done, drain them.  Return to the pot and stir in cheese/walnut sauce.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails