Saturday, May 15, 2010

Grilled marinated salmon with cucumber sauce

I made this the other night with 2 separate sides.  Not sure what I was thinking trying to make 3 separate things in one night.  it was busy.  The fish was ok.  I think we undercooked it.  Both times we've made salmon with the skin on it has turned out very slimy near the skin.  I don't like it that way.  I feel like it isn't cooked enough, but the last salmon I had made had seemed overdone, so I let Brandon decide on this on and was unimpressed.  I really liked the cucumber sauce that went with is.  Made the fish edible.  I think this dish overall would have been lovely had it been made without the skin on.  Probably would have been better on the grill too, but it decided to pour buckets and lightening.  Needless to say, it was made in the oven.  This recipe and the sides I made for this meal all come from an old Pillsbury magazine from May of '06.

Salmon ingredients

  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3 Tablespoons lemon juice (I used the juice of 2 lemons a bit more than 3 Tablespoons.)
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 salmon fillet, (about 1 inch thick -2 to 2 1/4 lbs -ours was 1.5 lbs.)
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Sauce Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
  • 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/3 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup chopped, unpeeled cucumber

Directions
  1. In a shallow nonmetal dish (I used a 9 X 13) mix soy sauce, lemon juice, water, garlic powder and onion powder.  Add samlon, skin side up.  Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to marinate.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix sauce ingredients.  Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
  3. Heat grill.  Brush skin side of salmon with oil.  Place salmon skin side down on grill.  Cover and cook over medium heat 13-18 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.  (I baked mine directly on my oven rack with a 9X13 pan under it at 400 for 12-14 minutes.)  Cut into pieces and serve with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails