Sunday, May 30, 2010

Chicken Taquitos

Well, I got the idea for these from Hungry Girl's book.  She calls them exploding chicken taquitos, but I didn't do a good job of following directions (imagine that.)  What I really loved about this recipe is that I had some chicken we had overcooked one day making the precooked chicken that we always make as a time saver.  I  had ground that up and thrown it into the freezer, but never had a use for it.  This recipe had you add some salsa to some canned chicken so I used my dried, shredded chicken and ended up adding double the salsa and then some taco sauce.  Then somehow I forgot to add the cheese and had to go back and add it, I didn't microwave the tortillas long enough and they weren't pliable enough....... So much for a quick lunch.  I hope they turn out well.  They are currently in the oven.

They were quite tasty, although lots busted. -see the picture.  Definitely get them hot before rolling them.

Ingredients

  • precooked chicken, shedded or chopped very fine (I had a little over 10 oz.)
  • 1 cup salsa (I used this much because my chicken was dry,  you may not need this much.  I started with 1/2 a cup, then added another 1/2 cup
  • Taco sauce - not sure how much I added -about 1/3 cup.  I wanted to make my mix a little moist, but not dripping or anything
  • cheese - I used fat free cheddar - not sure the amount I used, I'd say 1/2-1 cup depending on how cheesy you want them
  • corn tortillas - I ended up making 
Directions
  1. Mix chicken, salsa, and taco sauce and cheese - let stand while preparing the everything else.
  2. Preheat oven to 375, spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside
  3. Dampen 2 paper towels with water.  Place tortillas between them.  Microwave for about 1 minute.  (I started this way, but they were not pliable enough.  I made a bunch and they split...  I ended up going back and microwaving 2-3 at a time for 30 seconds.  That worked a lot better.  They came out super hot, but very pliable.  I would suggest doing them that way.
  4. Take 1 tortilla at a time (leaving the rest in the paper towel.)  Spray both sides with cooking spray.  Spoon about 2 Tablespoons of filling onto the tortilla.  (apparently I was supposed to spread this over the whole tortilla, but I didn't.  I write it because I would like to try it next time.)  Roll tortilla up tightly and secure with a toothpick.  Place seam side down on baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes (original recipe said only 14-16, but we ended up doing 20 or 21 and they still weren't super crispy.)  Allow to cool for 5 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails