Thursday, May 20, 2010

Root Beer Barbecued Beef Sandwiches

I wanted a slow cooker recipe for today and this is what looked good.  It is from an old Pillsbury magazine from Jan '04.  Pretty simple.  I didn't use quite as much oil as the original recipe, and I didn't scrape the bits of stuff off of my pan after searing the roast and add it to the pan.  I actually got busy and cooked the sauce for too long.  I would not recommend that.  Mine could have used more sauce.  It was easily remedied by more barbecue sauce.  


Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 1 boneless beef rump roast, (4 lb) trimmed of fat (I used a top round london broil - 4.5 lbs)
  • 1 1/4 cups root beer
  • 2 cups barbecue sauce
  • 16 sandwich buns, split
Directions
  1. Heat oil in skillet.  Add beef and sear on all sides.  
  2. While the meat is cooking put rood beer and 1 1/2 cup barbecue sauce in a bowl (or 4 cup measuring cup) Mix well.
  3. Put beef in slow cooker.  Pour barbecue sauce over beef.  Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours (I did 4-5 on high and 2 on low.)
  4. About 20 minutes before serving, remove beef ffrom slow cooker; place on large plate.  Pour juices from slow cooker into a skillet.  Cook over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes or until juices are reduced to about 3 cups, stirring occasionally.  (Don't overdo this, I did and my meat needed more sauce.)  Meanwhile, shred beef with 2 forks; return to slow cooker.
  5. Stir remaining 1/2 cup barbecue sauce into reduced juices in skillet.  Pour sauce over beef in slow cooker. Ass salt and pepper to taste; mix well (I didn't add any.)  Serve on buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails