Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Turkey chili

I found this recipe on blogchef.net.  I only veered slightly from the original recipe skipping some red pepper flakes or some such spicy ingredient, tossed in however much salsa was left in the bottle, subbed out some italian seasoning for oregano since I was out.    I also had no crushed tomatoes in the size specifies so I used pureed tomatoes.  I can't say I followed any of the simmer times.  I just simmered until I was done cutting the next batch of veggies which I was doing between trying to get all the kids turns to video chat with DH who is out of town.  Made for a bit of a chaotic dinner making since my recipe was online today.
The chili was surprisingly good.  I was a bit skeptical with the 3 zucchini in there, but it was good.  Nice mix of flavors with the taco seasoning, green chilis, onions, spices, and salsa.  I can see this turning out a bit different each time you make it depending on the salsa used.  Today I used a black bean and corn I had in the fridge that needed to be used.  I also found it humorous that it is a turkey chili made with a whole can of beef broth.  Don't know why, but that just makes me smile.  :)

Ingredients

  • 2 Tablespoons oil
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
  • 1 package (1 oz. or 1/4 cup) taco seasoning mix
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano (I used Italian seasoning but would use oregano if making again.)
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can beef broth
  • 1 15 oz. can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 1 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 1 7 oz. can chopped green chilies
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 3 meduim zucchini (quartered lengthwise and sliced)
  • green onions, sour cream, and/or cheddar cheese for toppings (I didn't have green onions so I didn't use them, but they would look nice.)
Directions
  1. Spray a large pot with cooking spray.  Add ground turkey to the pot breaking it up as you add it.  Season with taco seasoning, coriander, oregano, and tomato paste.  Mix until the meat is coated with the seasonings.  Continue cooking until the turkey is browned.  
  2. Pour in beef broth, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until broth has slightly reduced.  Add salsa, tomatoes, green chilies, kidney beans and black beans.  Continue cooking at medium heat for 10 minutes (while chopping and sauteeing onion and green pepper.)
  3. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon (didn't measure.  I probably used somewhere between 1/2 and 1.) oil in a skilled over medium high heat.  Stir fry onion and green pepper until onion is translucent.  Add to the chili and mix well.  In the same pan, add the other Tablespoon of oil and the zucchini.  Stir fry of 5 minutes.  Add the zucchini to the chili.  
  4. Continue cooking for 15 minutes or more. (I think we only made it 10 but I figured #1, we had longer simmer time earlier, #2 I didn't want my zucchini too soggy, and #3 I had kids to get to scouts. :)  Add water if the chili becomes too thick.  
Serve over tortilla chips.  Top with cheese while warm so it will melt.  Then add sour cream and green onions if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails