Friday, May 28, 2010

beso mi queso

This recipe is from the Hungry Girl Website. I really wanted to just put a link there, but I actually changed a few things, so I'm writing it out. Aarg. I should stop with the changing things business. Small changes here - omitted some chili powder, changed soymilk to regular milk (wasn't buying soymilk just for this recipe) and she had you add 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon cumin, to the meat then vice versa for the cheese. I thought it was just easier to do 1/2, and 1/2 then 1/4 and 1/4.
This was ok. I was sadly disappointed by my family not leaving any tortilla chips. Look at the picture to see what they left in the bottom of the bag in the cupboard. I ended up dipping carrots in my cheese, then I dipped a breadstick in them (now that I'm thinking about it I still need to post about that.) It was pretty good with the breadstick. Definitely better that whatever else it was that used soy crumbles.


Ingredients:
1 cup frozen ground-beef-style soy crumbles (like the kind by Boca or Morningstar Farms)
3/4 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix, divided
3/4 tsp. ground cumin, divided
1/3 cup skim milk
2/3 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
2 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese
1 1/2 tbsp. fat-free cream cheese, room temperature


Directions:
Heat a small frying pan sprayed with nonstick spray on medium-high heat. Add frozen crumbles and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning and 1/2 tsp. cumin. Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thawed and hot. Remove from pan and set aside. Remove pan from heat and let cool slightly.

Add milk, all three cheeses, remaining 1/4 tsp. taco seasoning, and cumin to the pan. Add 1/4 cup water to the pan and return to medium-low heat. Heat, stirring continuously until cheeses have melted and mixture has a smooth, sauce-like consistency. (It was a bit funny consistency at first, I thought because I used milk instead of soymilk, but as it cooked, it smoothed out pretty well.)

Add seasoned crumbles to the pot, and continue to cook and stir until hot. Serve with chips (unless your family ate them all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails