Monday, May 24, 2010

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

I found this recipe at melskitchencafe, but she got it from the Sister's Cafe. I changed it a bit to make it healthier. It called for cream - I used fat free sour cream. I also did my popular sub of 1/2 chili powder, 1/2 cumin to lessen the spice. It was still plenty spicy for us. I made a couple of Enchiladas with just cheese to use up the rest of the tortillas and to use up the cheese, but they weren't nearly as good. The best thing about this was the honey lime chicken. It had a great flavor.
I also liked how easy this was to make with just the chicken and cheese in the middle -only sauce on the top.

Ingredients
  • 6 Tablespoons honey
  • 5 Tablespoons lime juice (1 large lime) - their limes must be on steroids. It took me 4 Limes to get this much
  • 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 Tablespoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded (I just used my pre-cooked)
  • 10-12 flour tortillas
  • 1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded (I had a package of moneterey jack and 1 of cheddar jack)
  • 1 15 ounces can green enchilada sauce
  • 1 cup fat free sour cream
Mix the first four ingredients and toss with shredded chicken. Let it marinate for at least 1/2 hour. Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. Fill flour tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas. (I think I made 8 -9 using 1 package of cheese and then 2 cheese only with the rest of the cheese on top. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade (I didn't have much marinade left.) Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas (I actually separated my enchiladas with my finger to make sure the sauce got in between each enchilada.) Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top. (You may want to cook them a bit longer although I would suggest covering them first if you do that. My cheese wasn't melted inside, but they were just right on top.)

I made some corn and black beans as a side by first mixing the juice of 1 lime and adding a sprinkle of splenda (would have used honey to make a honey lime sauce, but then the baby couldn't eat it - not that he did anyway.) Added some garlic mix and a bit of salt. Then I added a can of corn and a can of black beans (both rinsed and drained.) and tossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails