Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fruited tuna Salad

This poor recipe has been on my menu for at least 2 weeks probably 3 and I have never made it because I haven't ever made the sprouts.  (I have seeds and can and have grown sprouts, so I never bought any thinking I would grow some.)  I had made the pitas they were supposed to go on all those 2 or 3 weeks ago and they have been sitting in the fridge.  So I started the sprouts a few days ago and they were ready today.  Of course the pitas were now stale and wet so we ended up using the new Orowheat sandwich thins I had bought.  Technically there was way more tuna salad than fit on the little bun.  The pita would have been better to fill, but the taste was pretty much the same.  The salad was wonderful.  I loved the crunch of the apple mixed with the chewy of the craisins and the crunch of the celery and pecans.  I also liked that it was full of fruits and veggies.  So healthy and tasty.  I think this would make an excellent chicken salad as well, and either would be great on crackers.  In fact I ate some of the left overs on crackers.  Yum!
I shorted my ingredients a bit because I didn't have a 12 oz. can of tuna just 2 5 oz.  I'll post the original recipe and what I did in parenthesis. The original is from taste of home's simple and delicious magazine.



Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used 7 Tablespoons - it was the mark on my measurer between 1/2 and 1/3 cup)
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 can (12 oz) white water-packed tuna, drained (I used 2 5 oz. cans)
  • 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1 medium apple, chopped (I had red delicious, but would be good with any type)
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans (my 1/3 cup was a bit short)
  • 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 4 whole wheat pitas (6 in.)  (I used the Orowheat sandwich thins and only made 3)
  • 2 3/4 cups alfalfa sprouts (I didn't measure this - just covered the bottom of the bun with sprouts.)
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise and honey.  Stir in tuna, oranges, apple, pecans, celery, cranberries and salt.  
  2. To serve, cover bread with sprouts, top with tuna salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails