Monday, May 10, 2010

Whole grain carrot cake

This is a recipe from the King Arthur Flour whole grain book. Brandon made it for me for Mother's day.  I thought it was good, but not my favorite carrot cake.  Funny thing is, I thought you could tell it was wheat - there was some aftertaste or something that wasn't normal, and I like wheat bread and cook with more wheat than my family would like.  The family didn't think you could taste the wheat at all.  In fact, Brandon thought it was one of the best carrot cakes ever.   It may just be that I wasn't a fan of this carrot cake for another reason, I just don't know what it is.  It was very moist, had pineapple which I like in a carrot cake.  Not sure.   Makes me want to go and make the one I like though, but I will refrain since I have so little will power when it comes to sweets.  Brandon didn't add the milk a little at a time, he just started with the lowest suggestion which was too much, so the icing was runny, but the icing was plenty tasty.



Ingredients

  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup shredded or flaked coconut
  • 1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
Frosting Ingredients
  • 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temp.
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
  • 2-4 Tablespoons milk (DH says he started with the lowest amount and it was runny, but I think I remember talking about 3 Tablespoons.  Definitely be careful not to add too much though.  
Directions

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour the pan or pans of your choice (1- 9 X 13, 2-9 inch round or 3-8 inch round.)  or line with parchment paper.

Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, add oil while the mixer is running.  Add the vanilla, then sprinkle in the sugars.  You will have a thick, foamy, lemon-colored mixture.  Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in a medium bowl.  Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl, mixing to make a smooth batter.  Add teh carrots and nuts, then the coconut and pineapple.  Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake (30-35 minutes for 8" round, 35-40 min for 9" or 45-50 min for 9 X 13)  until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool completely on a wire rack.  Frost with cream cheese frosting.

Frosting directions:

Combine butter, cream cheese and vanilla in a medium bowl, and beat together until light and fluffy.  Add sugar gradually, beating well.  Add milk a little at a time, until frosting is spreadable consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails