Saturday, May 15, 2010

Seasoned Grilled new Potatoes and green chili vinaigrette

These are the 2 sides we had for the salmon that I just posted.  They by no means go together, but I wasn't a huge fan of the green chili vinaigrette.  It was simple enough, and kind of grew on me, but I don't think I'd make it again.  The potatoes were good, and even the kids that aren't alway fans of potatoes ate them more like fries.  (cooking them in butter could have something to do with it.)  I didn't have seasoned salt (original recipe just called for 1 teaspoon seasoned salt)  so I used the mix of seasonings I listed.  This was supposed to be made on the grill as well, but didn't get to be because of the rain.  I'm actually writing what I did because it was way easier than making a tin foil packet for the grill although I'm sure the grill would have given them excellent flavor.

Potatoes (4 star)

Ingredients

  • 2 lbs new red potatoes
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted 
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic and herb blend
  • 1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
Directions
  1. Quarter or half the potatoes so they are a uniform size. Place on a cookie sheet.
  2. In a small bowl, mix butter and seasonings.  Pour over potatoes.  I mixed them all together with my hands on the cookie sheet and spread them out evenly.
  3. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring as necessary to brown evenly.

Green chili vinaigrette (2 star)
Ingredients
  • 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons orange juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions
Mix ingredients in blender or with a hand blender.  

We made a salad with some chopped cucumber (left from the cucumber sauce made for the salmon) and some cherry tomatoes with a salad mix.  The dressing was ok, but I thought the green chilies were a little strong, but then it would have a bit of a sweet aftertaste making me like it a bit more... It did grow on me.  First bite I didn't like it at all, but I ate all of my salad with it and it was ok.  However, like I said, I probably wouldn't make it again.  You may like it if you really like green chiles though.  The combination of vinegar and oj with the green chiles was interesting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails