Tuesday, August 28, 2012

herbed scones

Today was a day of scones at our house.  I made some for breakfast, then when looking for a biscuit or roll recipe for dinner I found this recipe on the same page as the breakfast ones.  These were more savory and the perfect compliment to our soup.  Tavio loved them.  The other boys didn't seem to be as big of fans of the scones.  I would have to guess it was the texture, but I thought the texture was great.  Nice and crisp on the outside, kind of flaky on the inside.  Very nice just like the breakfast ones (which will probably be my next post.)  Both came from yet another book I have checked out of the library called The Rodale whole foods cookbook.  Considering this was a "whole foods cookbook"  I was surprised that the original recipe didn't use any whole wheat flour, just unbleached.  I changed that in my version.  :)  I did still go with 1/2 and 1/2 - mostly to appease my teenagers.  I also just noticed that the recipe called for a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda that I missed.  Feel free to use it if you like.  Oh, and I guess I'd better go and change the name of these from herbed buttermilk scones to just plain herbed scones since I was out of buttermilk.  You can change the yogurt, and milk for buttermilk it you'd like.
1 final note, these are not low calorie with 1 stick of butter.  :)  Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold and cubed
  • 1/4 cup greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup milk
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425
  2. In a food processor, combine the flours, baking powder, thyme, mustard seeds, salt and pepper and pulse to mix.
  3. Add the butter and pulse just until the mixture forms course crumbs.  Add yogurt and milk and pulse just until combined.
  4. Transfer to a floured surface or silpat (I put mine straight on the silpat I was going to cook it on - less mess/dishes)  Knead until well combined if necessary.  Pat into an 8 inch circle (about 1/2 inch thick)  Cut into 8 wedges and separate/ place on baking sheet 1/2 inch apart.  
  5. Bake for 12-14 minutes (12 was perfect for me) until lightly browned and crisp.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails