Tuesday, August 28, 2012

chocolate chip scones

Here's the recipe for the scones we tried this morning.  I really liked the combination of orange and chocolate.  YUM!  This recipe also started in The ROdale Whole foods cookbook, but I changed it around according to what I had in my kitchen and to add a bit more whole grain.  This is my version.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 3 Tablespoons sucanat (I think I actually used 2 T sucanat and 1 T coconut palm sugar)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 Tablespoons cold butter
  • zest of 1 orange (about 2 teaspoons)
  • 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons half and half
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425
  2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.  Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in orange zest and chocolate chips.
  3. In a small bowl, beat egg with 1/4 cup of the half and half.  Add to the flour mixture and mix just to combine.  
  4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface (or just onto the silpat I was going to cook on if you are me.)  Pat it into a circle about 1 inch thick.  Cut into 8 wedges and separate so there is 1/2 inch between.  Brush with remaining 2 teaspoons half and half.  
  5. Bake on a baking sheet for 15 minutes or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails