This coleslaw recipe was super tasty - that's saying something because I'm not always the biggest fan of coleslaw. I tried another one a couple of days later with the other 1/2 of the cabbage and it wasn't nearly as good. This one however is a definite winner. (and I didn't even put in the avocado or the pepitas.) I found the recipe cooking club magazine. So without further ado, here is the delicious dish.
- 6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 8 oz jicama, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped sweet bell pepper (I used a combination of colored mini sweets)
- 1 medium carrot, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/3- 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup roasted salted pepitas (although I forgot these)
- 1 avocado, chopped (I forgot to add this as well.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel (I used about 1/2 an orange for both of these)
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel (I used 1 lime for both of these)
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place all coleslaw ingredients except pepitas and avocado in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until blended. Stir into coleslaw. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- As a bonus, just befor serving, don't forget to sprinkle the pepitas and avocado - I got side tracked looking for the pepitas, finally gave up and totally forgot the avocado. Go figure. :) It was still wonderful without them.