Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Black bean salad

Loved this recipe.  Like the previous recipe this recipe came from a book I have checked out from the library right now called Clean Food by Terry Walters.  I have liked the things I've tried so far.
This recipe reminded me more of a salsa than a salad and we actually used it more like a salsa.  The  book gave the idea of wrapping it in a burrito with avocados and salsa, but we just put it on top of quesadillas or just a tortilla and ate it like that and it was delicious.
I loved that it used diced tomatillos.  That was new for me.  We love the tomatillo ranch that goes with cafe rio pork, but I had never tried it diced in a salad.  It was good.
I'd rate this one a 4.5 or 5 star.  I loved it's fresh flavors.  Of course my kids that don't like beans or salsa (not the same kids) were not thrilled with it.  I however enjoyed the left overs for lunch twice.  YUM!
I did do a tiny bit of modifying of this recipe making a bit less.  This way it serves about 6. (original was 8)

Ingredients

  • 3 cups cooked black beans (2 15 oz. cans rinsed and drained)
  • 3 tomatillos, husked and diced
  • 2-3 mini sweet pepper diced
  • 1/2 sweet onion diced
  • 1 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails