Tuesday, August 28, 2012

loaded baked potato soup

I just did a lot of baking and am actually going to get it blogged right away.  This was the soup we had for dinner that everyone liked.  I was actually surprised because I expected some of my non baked potato lovers to dislike the soup, but everyone liked it.  I had to spoon feed Aaron because he hasn't decided he likes soup yet, but he ate at least 5 bites, maybe more all of which contained bits of potato.
The idea is from a book I have from the library called Cheap. Fast. Good!  This is only supposed to serve 4 according to the book.  I served it with scones and a salad and stretched it to all 6 of us.

Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 large onion (about 1 cup diced- I used a heaping cup.)
  • 6 pre-baked potatoes, scooped from the skins and diced (about 3 cups diced - my third cup was heaping) or 2 packages refrigerated hash-brown potatoes
  • 1 32 oz box chicken stock
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper (I just added a few grinds of fresh)
Optional for serving (but tasty albeit not vegetarian :)
  • real bacon bits (not imitation)
  • shredded cheddar cheese
Directions
  1. melt butter in a 4 1/2 -5 quart dutch oven or soup pot.  Chop onion and add to butter.  Saute until beginning to brown.  
  2. Add the stock bring to a boil.  Add the diced potatoes, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper.  Cook until heated through - 3-5 minutes.  Top with bacon bits and cheese.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails