The idea is from a book I have from the library called Cheap. Fast. Good! This is only supposed to serve 4 according to the book. I served it with scones and a salad and stretched it to all 6 of us.
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion (about 1 cup diced- I used a heaping cup.)
- 6 pre-baked potatoes, scooped from the skins and diced (about 3 cups diced - my third cup was heaping) or 2 packages refrigerated hash-brown potatoes
- 1 32 oz box chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper (I just added a few grinds of fresh)
Optional for serving (but tasty albeit not vegetarian :)
- real bacon bits (not imitation)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- melt butter in a 4 1/2 -5 quart dutch oven or soup pot. Chop onion and add to butter. Saute until beginning to brown.
- Add the stock bring to a boil. Add the diced potatoes, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper. Cook until heated through - 3-5 minutes. Top with bacon bits and cheese.