Warning: These use A LOT of butter. They also make very Large biscuits. Original had you cut them in only 12, we went with 16 for ease of cutting, but they were still very large biscuits.
Like the scones from this book these had a nice and flaky texture. Amazing what using some nice butter will do. :)
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks), cold and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 oz. bacon bits (real bacon not imitation - if you want to be fancy, use prosciutto finely choped - 3/4 cup)
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk plus more for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, rosemary, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal but with some large pieces of butter remaining.
- Add cheese and bacon. Stir in buttermilk just until the mixture forms a dough;
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured or greased surface. Knead quickly to incorporated any loose crumbs. Pat into a 12 inch square. Cut into 16 3 inch squares.
- Place on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Brush the tops with buttermilk. Bake for 30-40 minutes rotating the baking sheets in the middle.