Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Luau Chicken with pineapple and carrots

This recipe came from my new no whine with dinner book's slow cooker section. It was super simple to make.  I wished it had a bit more teriyaki flavor - maybe a bit more pineapple?  But other than that it was pretty good, and like I said, simple which is always a plus.  As an extra added bonus to me, my 2 year old also actually ate some of the chicken - I don't think he has tried anything meat in at least 2 weeks maybe 4.   My only change to the original was adding the entire bag of carrots.  Who knows why with 3 lbs of chicken they only added 1/2 the bag.

Ingredients

  • 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
  • 1 16 oz. package baby carrots
  • 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 1 glove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple packed in juice (I'd probably use 2 next time)
Directions
  1. Place chicken, carrots, teriyaki sauce, garlic and ginger into a 5-6 quart slow cooker and stir to combine.  (If using a larger can of pineapple, I'd add 1/2 of the juice -drained from the crushed pineapple- here as well.)  Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 - or until chicken is cooked through and carrots are tender.
  2. When done, drain juice out of the pineapple into a bowl.  Add the crushed pineapple to the slow cooker.  Whisk the cornstarch into the juice, then stir that into the slow cooker.  Cover and continue cooking until the juices thicken - about 5 minutes.
  3. Serve over rice or noodles.  (We had it over brown rice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails