I liked that these had a bit of Italian seasoning in them as well. Gave them a good flavor.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons hot water (I actually used warm, I didn't want to kill my yeast, and my flour was warm because it was fresh ground.)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a mixing bowl, combine the hot water with 1 cup flour (I didn't use super hot water because I was afraid of killing my yeast - my flour was freshly ground so it was also warm.) Add the salt, olive oil, flaxseed, sugar, and yeast. Mix together to make a "spongy" dough. Let rest for 10-15 minutes. Grease a baking sheet (or cover with parchment.)
- Add remaining flour, and Italian seasoning, and Parmesan. Knead until it is smooth. (I just mixed it in my kitchenaid.)
- Divide dough into muffin-size balls. Shape as desired - For an easy shape, just roll out like a bread stick To make a twist, Roll balls into skinny, long pieces. Let rest as you roll the rest of the pieces. Go back and fold the pieces in half and twist together.
- Let rise for 30 minutes in a warm place (I like my microwave - after boiling water in it for a minute) Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Baking time depends on thickness of breadsticks. Mine took about 15 minutes.