Sunday, May 22, 2011

Chili crusted sweet potato fries

I made these to go with the tilapia, and the picture for these is even more pitiful than the others. The original recipe is also from no whine dinner.   Unfortunately I ended up leaving these in the oven too long because I didn't stick a timer on them thinking I'd only leave them a couple of minutes more.  I was going for crispy, and although the recipe promised they would be crispy due to the cornmeal, I was still hoping for a crispier fry.  While the corn meal did add a depth of texture, it didn't hit the spot for the "crispy" that I expect from a fry.  I haven't been able to truly find a baked recipe that does that, but I continue to look.  However, even having said that, these were gobbled up by the family and everyone wanted more (except picky 2 yr. old who used to like these but now only gags if I attempt to feed him any.)
I made some changes in amounts because my sweet potatoes were huge, and I even added a bit of oil - hoping for more crispiness.  Maybe I'll have to try them using the exact recipe.  They also weren't too spicy.  I had mildly reduced the chili powder and I would not need to do that again.  I also used a full egg, and the original was 2 egg whites (no oil)  But, I think I was out of eggs and used powdered eggs - I'd love to try these again with egg whites and see how they come out.  Then I will have to modify my commentary.  I'm sure no one will complain.  They all love sweet potato fries.

Here is my version:

Directions

  • 2 sweet potatoes (mine were enormous)
  • 4.5 Tablespoons cornmeal
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon oil
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425.  Oil, or coat a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
  2. Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 6 wedges, and cut the wedges in half, lengthwise so you end up with 48 fries (that works if using medium sweet potatoes.  I had to just keep cutting them to a nice fry size.)
  3. Whisk together cornmeal, sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk egg with the oil until frothy.  Add the fries and toss to coat evenly.
  5. Add the sweet potatoes to the cornmeal mixture and toss until lightly coated.  Place on prepared baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.  
  6. Bake until golden brown on the bottom (about 12 minutes.)  Remove from the oven, turn each fry with a spatula or tongs, and bake until slightly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, 10 to 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails