Thursday, August 11, 2011

Wheat rolls

I made a turkey burger from Mel's kitchen cafe the other day only I didn't have turkey, but did have some sirloin steaks that needed to be used.  So we ground the meat and made burgers with her slaw.  It really wasn't my favorite and I'm still debating posting.  I have to wait for input from Brandon because he made the burgers and had some substitutions.  I made the slaw and basically just doubled the recipe.  Still it was too tangy for me.  I'm just not a slaw person.  I thought I might enjoy it because it was made with romaine instead of cabbage, but it is definitely the vinegar/mayo dressing that I'm not a fan of.  Anyway, I may end up posting it when DH returns from China, because he is a slaw fan.  I'll have to see how much he liked them.  What I do want to post are the buns I made from her site.  They were great, and according to her, she uses them for every type of bun or roll.  They worked great and I liked them for our burgers.  Plus they were pretty simple to make.

Oh, I also have to add, she had a great tutorial on making buns.  I thought I knew how to roll my dough in a nice circle, but of course out of curiosity I had to check out her tutorial and try it.  I really liked it.  Made perfect little circles.

Sorry about yet another tangent.  Now on to the recipe.  I slightly adapted Mel's recipe.  I'm not putting super detailed instructions.  If you would like those, definitely click on the link above to her site.  In addition to the link about shaping dough, she has a nice one about yeast dough.  Definitely one of my favorite blogger.


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 3/4 Tablespoon instant yeast
  • 2 Tablespoons agave
  • 2 Tablespoons oil (I used a healthy blend oil)
  • 4 cups fresh ground wheat flour, give or take a few Tablespoons.  I think I used 4 cups 2 Tablespoons
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. Combine water, yeast, agave, oil, 3 cups flour and salt in a mixer with a dough hook.  Knead until well mixed.  Gradually add last cup of flour until dough pulls away from the edge of the bowl.
  2. Let the mixer continue kneading until smooth and elastic (about 5 more minutes)
  3. Cover and let rise until doubled.  (About 1 hour.)
  4. Once risen, punch dough down, divide into 12 portions and shape as desired.  Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.  Cover and let rise until double.  Bake at 400 for 12-14 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails