Thursday, August 11, 2011

Quick wheat pizza dough

So I decided to do movie night with pizza as a bribe to get my kids to work really hard on cleaning the playroom.  They did a decent job helping and the room looks ton better so I had to make good on my promise (not to mention the meal I had planned for today was slow cooker, so when I made the bribe I really hoped they followed through.)  However, planning pizza on short notice doesn't work for our favorite pizza dough recipe, so I looked for a new one.  What I made was a cross between a quick recipe I had in a book and one I saw on Mel's kitchen cafe with my own twist of agave because I like to sweeten my wheat bread with agave.  I made a lot because typically my family can go through a lot of pizza.  We did end up with a decent amount of left overs, but DH is out of town, and DS2 didn't eat quite as much as he normally does - could be that we made some tasty smoothies to go with our meal. -Our new green smoothie ingredient thanks to that same DS- Ovaltine.   He got fancy when I wasn't looking yesterday. But, that's another post (maybe.)

Here's how I made the pizza dough today - It made 3 large pizzas.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 Tablespoons yeast
  • 2 Tablespoons agave
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 5 1/4 cups wheat flour (more or less)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 500.  Combine all ingredients in a mixer.  Mix with a dough hook until smooth and pliable.  Let rest/rise while preparing sauce/toppings.
  2. Punch dough down.  Divide into 3 balls.  Roll each out to desired size/thickness.  sprinkle a pizza peel with cornmeal.   Roll up the edge of the dough.  (this will form the crust when flipped over.)  Gently flip the pizza crust over onto the pizza peel.  Give it a shake to make sure it will slide - if not add more cornmeal underneath before topping.  Top pizza as desired.
  3. Bake for 5-6 minutes.  (I did all of mine 6, but they were slightly overdone, so I'd probably do about 5 min 30 seconds or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails