Thursday, August 18, 2011

Asian apple-chicken salad/dressing

I found a new food book at the library yesterday.  Surprise, surprise right?  This one is called 5 a day the better health cookbook.  It had a few interesting recipes that I stuck in this week's menu.  The first being this one.  It really is just a run of the mill salad - nothing super special EXCEPT the homemade dressing.  It was simple and reminded me of the Newman's Asian dressing that we normally buy.  I secretly have a goal of getting rid of all of our salad dressing bottles and making fresh.  It would be totally possible with a dressing as simple as this.  
The rest of the salad was simple too.  I used my pre-cooked chicken -just had to defrost and my already chopped salad in a jar.  I just had to chop an apple and mix the dressing.  
Truth be told, the original recipe did have some extra stuff.  It had mirin - don't know what it is and I couldn't find it in the Asian aisle so I left it out.  It also had parsley and cilantro, but those aren't my favorite so I opted for ease and left them out.  I didn't miss the chopping or the flavor, but if you like them, add them.  I also left out the green onions.  I would probably throw them in next time.  The salad did seem to be missing something - not particularly the green onions.  Actually I think it was missing a crunch.  I almost added some sunflower seeds, but just didn't want to get up again.  They would be a nice addition next time though.
As a complete salad this probably gets a 3 star, because it really was missing something - guess I'm getting spoiled in my salads.  I like to put lots in them.  However, I did really like the dressing and would totally make it again.  That gets a 4 or 4.5 star.
Oops, I totally forgot to take a picture - nothing super amazing though.  Just a lettuce, chicken and apples.  

Ingredients
  • 1 package cubed cooked chicken breast (I grill and freeze mine then thaw as needed.)
  • 2 large apples, cored and cubed (I used red delicious)
  • 2 Tablespoons lime juice (1 lime juiced)
  • 2 Tablespoons orange juice (I had a juicy juice orange tangerine - really had more apple than anything.)
  • 1 Tablespoon light soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon grated ginger (I used a jarred ginger for quick and easy)
  • 1 large head lettuce.  (I used about 1 1/2 romaine hearts.  The original actually called for 1 lb baby spinach but I wanted to use up my romaine -would be good with spinach though)
Directions
  1. In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, orange juice, soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger.
  2. Toss with apples and lettuce either in a large bowl, or on individual plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails