Sunday, August 14, 2011

zucchini chocolate cake with sour cream icing

I came upon a recipe for zucchini chocolate cake with orange glaze in my Taste of home healthy cooking magazine.  I really wanted to make it and so I had every plan to and bought the zucchini.  I had a ton of tangelos so I figured I was good.  However, my boys ate through the tangelos like crazy eating 2-4 at a time and they ended up gone for this and a previous post.  However, this week I also saw a recipe on Jami cooks it up for a zucchini cake with sour cream icing.  Both cakes were actually quite similar -both even cooked in a fluted tube pan, but Jami's wasn't chocolate.  However I did decide to modify and use her sour cream icing idea.  Wish I could have made my cake look as good as hers.  :)  Here is the cake I came up with - mostly the Taste of home cake - minus walnuts and 1 T orange peel - I'd love to try this again with the orange peel and orange glaze.  I left the nuts out to make sure all of the kids would eat it - and they did - and loved it.  ONLY way to get zucchini into my toddler.  (and this cake actually had a good deal.)  I even used over 1/2 wheat flour - I could tell I did that, but no child had any complaints - couldn't taste the zucchini at all.  This would be great without the wheat flour.  I also think it would taste wonderful with chocolate chips.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar (I actually used 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup splenda.  I'm not a huge artificial sweetener fan anymore,  but I still have a bag of splenda so I decided to use some here.)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups flour (I used 1 1/2 cup white wheat ground on the pastry setting in my grinder and 1 cup white)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa (I used dutch process)
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tesapoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup milk (I had 2 % today)
  • 3 cups shredded zucchini - I had 3 medium and it was only about 2.5 cups shredded
Icing ingredients
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
Directions
  1. Coat a 10 inch fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour.  Preheat oven to 350.
  2. In a mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Beat in applesauce and vanilla.
  3. Combine flour, (or flours if using wheat and white) cocoa, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.  Fold in zucchini.
  4. Pour into prepared pan.  Bake for 50-60 minutes (mine took 60) or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
  5. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
  6. In a medium bowl beat icing ingredients together until smooth.  Frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails