- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar (I actually used 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup splenda. I'm not a huge artificial sweetener fan anymore, but I still have a bag of splenda so I decided to use some here.)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour (I used 1 1/2 cup white wheat ground on the pastry setting in my grinder and 1 cup white)
- 1/2 cup cocoa (I used dutch process)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tesapoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk (I had 2 % today)
- 3 cups shredded zucchini - I had 3 medium and it was only about 2.5 cups shredded
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Coat a 10 inch fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour. Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla.
- Combine flour, (or flours if using wheat and white) cocoa, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in zucchini.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes (mine took 60) or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl beat icing ingredients together until smooth. Frost.