Tuesday, August 9, 2011

One pot chicken and rice

Here is the one pot chicken and rice meal that I tried from Mel's kitchen cafe this week.  I tried to change it and use brown rice rather than white.  To make up for the additional cooking time needed for brown rice, I just added my chicken partially frozen.  None the less, the chicken ended up dry.  It was much better when I shredded it up, stirred it in the rice and had it that way for left overs today.
This was quite tasty.  I would make it again, but would probably just defrost some pre-cooked chicken and add it at the end with the corn and beans.  I could also see myself making this vegetarian and using an additional can of black beans.  As it was I only used about half of the meat the original called for. (which was plenty)

Here is how I made it.

Ingredients

  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb -I cut mine into a 4-5 pieces)
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic minces (or powder)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice
  • 1 32 oz container chicken stock (4 cups)
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups frozen corn
  • 1 cup cheese (I used cheddar jack)
  • cilantro (if desired - I forgot it and wasn't sad)
  • salsa and sour cream for serving if desired (I tried it like that - it was OK, but not necessary in my opinion)
Directions
  1. In a large pot, saute the onions in butter until golden.  Add chili, cumin, and garlic minces.  Stir to combine.  
  2. Add the rice and saute until rice absorbs the remaining oil.  Add chicken stock.  Bring to a simmer.  Add chicken. (I'd actually wait to add the chicken until about 1/2 way done next time.)  Cover and simmer for about 50 minutes (until rice is done, adding chicken after about 25 minutes -next time of course.)
  3. When rice is done, remove chicken, add beans, corn, cheese and cilantro.  Heat through.  Serve with chicken, adding sour cream and salsa if desired.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails