Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Inside out stuffed cabbage

This is what we had last night.  Yet again DH made dinner.  I was still busily cleaning up and trying to get stuff ready for preschool this morning.  It turned out pretty well.  I liked the flavor.  I remember wondering when I saw the recipe if it would be too spicy but it wasn't.  Brandon actually added hot sauce.  If I weren't afraid of hot sauce I may have added a dash myself because it did taste like it could use a bit more bite.
The recipe comes from my taste of home simple and delicious magazine.


Ingredients

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped (we used red)
  • 6 cups chopped cabbage
  • 1 can (11.5 oz) spicy hot V8 juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 envelope beefy onion soup mix
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice.
Directions
  1. In a dutch oven, cook beef, squash and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  (We used pre-cooked beef, so we just sauteed the pepper and squash for a few minutes, then added the beef with the next set of ingredients.)  
  2. Stir in cabbage, juice, water, soup mix and brown sugar.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
  3. Stir in rice.  Cover and cook for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until rice is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails