Friday, October 29, 2010

sloppy joe pie

I started out following a recipe I saw in some of my old Pillsbury magazines.  I was looking for something cute and halloweeny.  It was titled sloppy joe pie, so I had in my head sloppy joes.  It called for turkey sausage, so I had Brandon make some chicken sausage (recipe to follow.)  As I was cooking this up, I decided the kids were going to think it was too spicy.  It had sausage, green chilis, salsa, onion, and chili sauce.  I didn't really feel like spicy, I thought sloppy joe sounded better, so I ended up just making something up.  It turned out OK.  Would have been way better with just plain ground beef or turkey rather than sausage.  I wasn't a fan of the fennel flavor of the sausage combined with the sloppy joe flavor of the Mamwich I threw in there.  (Yes, we made home made sausage and then I threw in a can of Mamwich.  Don't judge me, I was making it up at the last minute, and I actually like mamwich better than the few homemade sloppy joe recipes I've tried.)


Ingredients

  • 1 lb. chicken sausage (I'd use ground beef or turkey next time though
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust, softened
  • 1 can mamwhich
  • 1 cup frozen corn (I didn't measure this - may have been a bit more - about 1/2 the small bag)
  • 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup diced onion (or 1 Tablespoon minced dried)
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 450.  Remove pie crust from pouch.  Unfold crust.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  With a sharp knife, cut jack-o-lantern face from the crust.  Use the eye, nose and mouth scraps to make a stem, leaves, and tendrils.  Pinch in place (can also use a bit of water.)  Bake at 450 for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown (mine took all 11.)  (In my other cookbook with the same recipe, they made an orange egg wash to brush on, but I didn't feel like doing that. 
  2. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a large non-stick skillet.  Add onion;  Cook 8-10 minutes unilt no longer pink.  Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes to heat through and combine flavors, but not too long so it doesn't dry out.
  3. Place pie crust on top of sloppy joe mix to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails