Monday, October 4, 2010

Tomatillo and chicken tostadas

I found this recipe over at recipe shoebox.  I usually like tomatillo anything, so I decided to try it.  It was good, but I probably should have used a bit more chicken, or added a can of black beans. (I had actually meant to add some, but forgot.)  It worked fine for yesterday because DH was out of town, but I had no leftovers.  I reduced the amount of oil you fried the zucchini in.  Not sure why it was so much.  I also left out the salt and pepper.  I figured you got enough flavor from the salsa.  I liked the tomatillo lime flavor.
 I also didn't follow directions on the tortillas because I just made my own and cooked them extra time to make them crispy. (I had originally planned on cooking them in my tortilla press/cooker.  I know that when left too long in there they turn out nice and crispy.  However, when I plugged it in, it decided not to work, so I ended up making them on my griddle and cooking them extra time.)  I used my buttermilk tortilla recipe, but I subbed out 1/2 cup cornmeal for 1/2 cup flour.  I used 3/4 cup water, and 1 Tablespoon of oil rather than butter because I was out.  Not sure how much I liked that with this recipe.  Overcooked like that they ended up a little dry.
  I did like this use of zucchini.  I actually wish Brandon would have been here to try them.  I couldn't even taste the zucchini.  Wonder if he would have.
Ready to top
Ready to eat



Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 1 zucchini, finely chopped
  • 3-4 green onions, chopped (I used 3 today)
  • 2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (I used my pre-cooked -defrosted for 2 minutes)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 cup tomatillo salsa
  • 1 lime juiced
  • 8 flour tortillas (see note above for what I did - I only used 7)
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (I used white cheddar)
  • Toppings - I used chopped tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, olives, cilantro and sour cream today.  I would add some black or pinto beans next time, but I would add them to the chicken mixture, not as a topping.
Directions
  1. In a large frying pan, saute zucchini in oil for about 5 minutes until golden brown.  Add chicken, green onions,  (beans if using) and cumin.  Stir to coat everything with the cumin.  Add the salsa.  Stir and heat through.  Squeeze the lime into the mix, stir and remove from heat.
  2. If not making homemade tortillas, brush regular tortillas with oil and bake on a cookie sheet at 425 for 6 minutes until crispy.  Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
  3. Place some chicken on a crispy tortilla, top with cheese.  Return to oven for just long enough to melt the cheese.  (Since I didn't have my oven heated up, I just broiled these for 2 minutes.)
  4. Top with desired toppings and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails