Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pizza Quesadillas, buttermilk tortillas

Wow, I really thought I had blogged this.  I even thought I remembered typing about the sundried tomato tortillas and the basil Parmesan Tomato sauce, but there is no blog post in sight.  Hmm.
I first made these sometime the week before last for lunch.  The original recipe is from the Gourmet Tortillas cookbook.
When I made them week before last I made a Sundried tomato tortilla.  It was OK, but not my favorite.  Definitely not worth the extra time to let the tomatoes sit in boiling water in my opinion, but really they were fine in the pizza.  You couldn't really taste the tomatoes all that often.  Today I made them with buttermilk tortillas.  I did sub out 1/2 cup wheat flour for white, and consequently had to add a bit more water, but I have made the buttermilk tortillas before all white and they were good.  Last time I made these I used a variety of different cheeses (pretty much used up what was in the fridge.) and I topped them with olives.  This time I used monterey jack inside and mozarella on top and topped a few with pepperoni.  Both ways were good.  I would love to try her sauce, but never have the hour it would take to let it simmer.  Today I used some left over sauce from homemade pizza today on 1/2 of the tortillas.  I love that sauce.
This could be a super quick meal if you use store bought tortillas and pizza sauce.  (All measurements are approximate - I don't measure anything.  I have always used 10 tortillas because that is how many my recipe makes.)


Ingredients
  • 10 tortillas
  • 1 cup pizza sauce
  • cheese of choice, grated
  • additional toppings of choice, pepperoni, sliced olives, diced onion or bell pepper.....
Directions:
  1. Make Quesadillas in a skillet or on an electric skillet by placing one tortilla in the pan, topping with cheese, and then topping with another tortilla.  Let cook until starting to brown a little.  Flip and brown the other side - or cook until cheese is melted.
  2. Turn oven to Broil.  Place made Quesadillas on a large cookie sheet (only 2 or 3 will fit).  Top with a couple tablespoons of pizza sauce, cheese and any toppings you may want.  Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. (Just a few minutes)  Cut into 4-8 triangles and serve.
Another alternative is to place 5 of the tortillas on 2 cookie sheets, top with cheese, broil, then top with another tortilla, pizza sauce, and more cheese and broil again.   This may actually be faster.  I just have only made this with homemade tortillas.  Since I'm already using the griddle to make the tortillas, I just make the quesadillas there too.

Buttermilk Tortillas
Ingredients and directions

  • 2 1/2 cups white flour (I used 2 white and 1/2 wheat today)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 2 Tablespoons dry buttermilk
Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon butter softened
Cut butter into flour mix until it resembles coarse meal.
  • 6.5 oz. water
Add water all at once.  Mix well adding more water if necessary (it was necessary today.)  You want a soft dough that is not sticky.
Cover dough and let rest 15-20 minutes.
Divide into 10 equal pieces.   Roll out thin.  Cook on a skillet or frying pan for about 1 minute per side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails