Thursday, July 15, 2010

Prego casserole

This is a recipe I grew up with.  It wasn't on my menu for today, but by the time I got home from the grocery store and got all of the groceries put away today, this got to be dinner because I didn't have time for what was on the menu. This was way better than I remember it.  I'm going to just say that this meal is only as good as your ingredients.
 Today I used a different brand of pasta sauce and a mix of ground beef and sausage I had in the freezer.  I'm assuming that is why it was tastier.  It still gets the name Prego casserole because that's what I grew up calling it.
We had ours with corn and grapes as sides.  Simple and quick.

Prego casserole

Ingredients
  • 1 jar Prego (or other pasta sauce - Today I used HEB Marinara and it was tastier than I remembered it.)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup shredded cheese, plus more to top if desired (Use your favorite - today I used sharp cheddar)
  • 1 lb ground beef (or pre-cooked - today I actually had a hamburger sausage mix I had made and frozen.  That was great.)
  • 1 package pasta (12-16 oz.  I had a 12 oz package of tri-color rotini today)
Directions
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions
  2. Brown beef with dehydrated onion, salt and pepper, drain (or use pre-cooked and just defrost.)  Add pasta sauce, sour cream and cheese.  Heat through.  Add cooked pasta and mix well.  Top with additional cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails