Wednesday, July 14, 2010

broccoli cheese soup

This is a super simple hungry girl soup.  I only changed the fact that I used milk rather than soymilk because I have vanilla soymilk at home right now and I didn't think it would go very well in soup.  :)  I served this with some pizza quesadillas for dinner.
 For some reason this week I have been very bad at following my menu.  I just haven't felt like cooking, or have had too much to do and was out of time, or I just started late for some reason, or never bought the flank steak.....  That has made life hectic - I don't like not following my menu because then I have to figure out what I'm doing at the last minute.  The only consolation is that it ought to make next week's menu planning simple.
This meal is originally made for just 1.  I heated up 3 trays of Broccoli because I have them and they need to be used (why this meal got picked - I had planned on doing it for lunch for just me to use up the broccoli, it never got done, it became part of tonights dinner because it was the oldest veggies in the freezer and tomorrow is shopping day, so we are down to frozen veggies.)  Anyway, I had 3 left, I used 3.  It was just a side to our quesadillas anyway. Surely you could do the same thing with one of the larger bags of broccoli and cheese -not the individual trays.


Ingredients

  • 1 tray Green Giant Just for One Broccoli and Cheese sauce
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Original swiss cheese, chopped into pieces
  • salt and pepper, to taste (I only used pepper, but I set them on the table.)
Directions
  1. Pull film back on broccoli and cheese tray to vent.  Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
  2. Pull film further back to add cheese wedge pieces.  Stir.
  3. Recover and microwave for an additional 45 seconds (I'm lazy and just hit the instant minute button)
  4. Mix well and allow to cool slightly.  (In my case while you prepare the other 2 trays.)
  5. Place broccoli and cheese mixture in microwave with milk.  Blend at medium speed until desired consistency is reached (I actually just pulsed it a few times so I had tiny pieces of broccoli left.)  
  6. Put in a microwave safe container, and heat for 45 seconds more or until hot (I did 2 minutes, but I had a lot more soup.)
  7. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails