Thursday, July 15, 2010

Magic in the middle cookies

I actually saw these over on Mels' kitchen cafe.  She has them pictured on the side of her blog always, and they have intrigued me for a long time.  Benjamin wanted to make cookies yesterday, so I decided to try them.  They are originally from King Arthur Flour's site.  I followed the directions from there because they have a lot of pictures.

I'm not going to type out the recipe, but go there for the recipe, directions and pictures.  I followed the directions exactly as far as making the doughs.  I even proportioned them into the 26 pieces (probably the first time I've ever had the correct yield on a batch of cookies.)  I did only roll 6 of them in sugar.  The first 12 I made into balls after I had the peanut butter inside the chocolate, then I smashed them with a cup - just like the directions.  (Actually after the first 6, I started flattening the ball of chocolate in my hand and putting the ball of peanut butter in the center of the chocolate 'pancake.'  Then I folded up the edges.  I like that a lot more then the indention into the ball method, but I still rolled them into a ball, set them on the cookie sheet and flattened them with a cup.  If doing them this way, the sugar sure does make the cup not stick.    After the first 12, I just made them like pupusas.  I flattened the chocolate disc, added the peanut butter, wrapped the chocolate around, then rolled, smashed and smoothed kind of all at once like an arepa or pupusa.  I never really got them to perfectly round after adding the centers, more of a flying saucer shape, but I was going to flatten them anyway right?  I probably should have taken pictures, but I was making them with a 4 year old.  The camera was not coming out.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails