Tuesday, July 20, 2010

crock pot cabbage rolls

This recipe came from Saving dinner.  My changes were minimal - 1/2 the onion, twice the carrot, more turkey, and that's it.  It was wonderful.  I could smell the cabbage all day, and I'm not the hugest fan of cabbage so I was a bit worried, but it was great.  I loved the sweet tang of the sauce that it made, and the meat inside was so good.
The only thing I found odd about this recipe were the exchanges listed at the end.  It said it was 0 Lean meats, and it said it only had 5 grams of protein.  I plugged it in at the sparkpeople recipe calculator, and there were 21.8 grams of protein.  I did up the meat, but only by .25 lbs.  I also apparently used a leaner meat.  Anyway, that really isn't important except that I found it odd.  I was only looking because I'm back to actually trying to eat better.  (get enough veggies, protein, fiber, calcium etc.)
Ooh, good thing I'm typing this now while I still have someone eating.  I just realized I forgot to take a picture.  Off to do that, and then back to type this out.  Good thing DH is out of town so I have some left in the crock pot.
So, this is how I made it today.  I'm including a picture of the baby's chopped up roll.  The picture isn't beautiful by any means, but it shows what they looked like in the middle.



Ingredients

  • 1 cabbage
  • 1.25 lb ground turkey (I used 93% lean)
  • 1/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 onion, minced
  • 2 carrots, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • toothpicks
Directions
OK, I had to laugh at this first direction - "Drop cabbage in boiling water and simmer for 5-10 minutes;"  How are you supposed to "drop" a cabbage in boiling water without splashing it everywhere?  I tried to do it with tongs, but it still splashed and extinguished my flame, so good luck.  I guess I could have got out an even larger pot, but I already had out my large pot.  I only have 1 larger for making jam.  OK, sorry for the tangent in the directions.  Lets do that over.
  1. Place cabbage in boiling water (I'd suggest lowering in a basket of some sort if you have one.)  and simmer for 5-10 minutes;  cool.
  2. In the meantime, in a bowl, mix turkey, rice, egg, onion, carrots, salt and pepper.  In another bowl mix vinegar, brown sugar, and tomato sauce.
  3. When cabbage has cooled sufficiently, remove 12 large leaves.  Chop remaining cabbage and place in bottom of slow cooker.  Place 2-4 Tablespoons of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf.  Fold the ends in like an envelope and secure with a toothpick.  Place seam side down in slow cooker.  Pour tomato sauce mixture over all.  cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
I served this with brown rice (which I spooned sauce from the crock pot on.) and steamed broccoli.

Here is the nutritional info per sparkrecipes if you were curious.  It is figured for 6 servings (2 rolls each)  and that would be using 1/6 of the sauce per person.  (we didn't use this much sauce)  I did only put in 3 cabbage leaves per person when entering ingredients -2 on the turkey, plus 1 from the bottom because that is all I served myself.

 Calories275.1
  Total Fat7.8 g
     Saturated Fat2.3 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat0.2 g
     Monounsaturated Fat0.1 g
  Cholesterol96.7 mg
  Sodium709.8 mg
  Potassium539.1 mg
  Total Carbohydrate38.3 g
     Dietary Fiber3.9 g
     Sugars27.7 g
  Protein21.8 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails