Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Orange poached fish with rosemary

x
Today's recipe is from my Saving Dinner book.  It is the first time I have cooked mahi mahi.  It was OK.  Nothing spectacular, but many times the recipes in here are not and I add something to them.  I think part of the fault may have been mine in that I probably overcooked them a bit trying not to leave them slimy.  I did like having the sauce to pour over it, but I did add additional orange juice near the end of cooking to have enough sauce.
 I served this with some tri-colored couscous - also just ok, but I'm not a huge fan of couscous.  For couscous, this was actually good.  I also made some zucchini. It turned out pretty good.  The big boys really liked it.  Both of those I just made up.


Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon cooking oil (I actually used 1/2 Tablespoon butter)
  • 3 Tablespoons red onion, diced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, pressed
  • 6 fish fillets (I used 4 (6 oz) mahi mahi fillets)
Directions
  1. In a large skillet, heat oil (or butter) over medium heat and cook onion until translucent.  sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Add orange juice and rosemary.  Stir and cook for 1 minute.
  2. Add fish and lower heat to a simmer.  Cover and cook 8-10 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.  Serve fish and spoon sauce over the top.  (Like I said above, I did add some extra oj at the end because it was looking dry.)
Orange Couscous ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cup tri color couscous 
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • pinch rosemary
  • salt and pepper to taste (but I forgot to add any - would have made it a bit better though.)
Directions
  1. In a saucepan, bring orange juice and chicken stock to a boil over high heat.  Add couscous, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.  
Zucchini with bacon ingredients
  • 3 medium zucchini
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1 Tablespoon real bacon crumbles
Directions
  1. Melt butter in a large skillet.  Add garlic and saute briefly.  Add zucchini and bacon.  Cook and stir until done (about 10 minutes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails