Sunday, July 4, 2010

Asian Tuna (or Chicken) wontons with corn on the cob

This recipe is from the Sandi Richard's book I have checked out of the library.  It is very similar to some wraps I made the other day from a Hungry girl book only this had you cook the wraps first, then fill them.  She also used oil, but I just used cooking spray having already tried that, I knew it worked.  I had to make various changes because this recipe called for things I can never find in the grocery store.  It called for Sambal Oelek - apparently it is a crushed chili paste.  I used Tabasco sweet and spicy sauce.  It also called for Kepac Manis - a sweet soy sauce.  That is actually why I chose the sweet Tabasco, and then used regular soy sauce.
I made 1/2 of the recipe using 1 can of tuna, then made the other 1/2 with precooked chicken that I shredded with my fingers.  Both were fine.  I think the tuna was a little bit better.  But even with that said, I liked the ones we had from Hungry girl better.  These were nice and crispy all the way to the bottom though.  You get 2 pictures today - one of the set-up and one of the plates.

This is how I made them - with 1/2 chicken and 1/2 Tuna

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh garlic (jarred)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sweet and spicy tabasco sauce
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3 Tablespoons lime juice (bottled)
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 can Albacore tuna in water
  • 6.5 oz chicken (can use canned, but I used pre-cooked that I shredded with my fingers)
  • 3 Tablespoons crushed peanuts (I totally forgot these, but they would have been good)
  • 4 cups coleslaw mix (I actually added a bit more - 1/2-1 cup)
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • 24 wonton wrappers
  • 6 ears of corn
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
  • (optional toppings, cilantro or bean sprouts)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  
  2. Whisk together garlic, sesame oil, Tabasco, soy sauce, lime juice and honey in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add coleslaw mix and crushed peanuts to the sauce.  Divide into 2 bowls (if doing 2 flavors)  Drain water from tuna (and chicken if using canned.)  Add 1 can to each 1/2 of the mix.  (Here is where I added more coleslaw because the 1/ 2 of mix that stayed in the original bowl was juicier even though it didn't use as moist of a meat, so I added a bit more coleslaw to that bowl.)  Toss and set aside
  4. Spray the inside of 2 muffin tins thoroughly with cooking spray.  Place a wonton wrapper in each cup.  spray tops of wontons and push into the tin to form little cups.  Bake for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown.  (I think mine were about 9.  Original recipe was 6-7, but I know I put mine in for longer.  Probably because I used cooking spray rather than oil.)   If husking the corn, wrap in aluminum foil and place on the lower shelf of the oven while the wontons are still cooking.  (I did not husk my corn, I just placed it in the oven on the bottom shelf in the husk.)  Cook for 5 minutes more after taking the wontons out.  (I turned mine over when I took the wontons out.)
  5. To serve, fill cups with cole slaw mix, top with diced red peppers.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails