Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oven pork roast with Applesauce, baby potatoes, gravy

Wow, I made this a week and a half ago at least.  I was cleaning out the fridge, had the left overs still in there, so I came to the blog to see when exactly I made it, but it wasn't on the blog.  Oops.  I didn't use the exact same spices- partly because I don't like that much Mrs. Dash - too spicy for the kids, and partly because I actually ran out.  I'm hoping I remember right what I did because it has been a while ago.
The pork was surprisingly good.  It seemed like it was going to be dry because the outside was dry, but it was moist and delicious, it just had an outer crust that was hard, but in no way bad. The rest of the meal was just pretty normal.  I include it because it did make a nice complete meal.

This one does require work the night before, but it isn't difficult, and it is a piece of cake the next day - just stick it in the oven.


Ingredients for the night before (the pork):

  • 3 lbs pork loin roast
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4  teaspoon Mrs. Dash original
  • 1 teaspoon garlic blend
Ingredients for the next day (all the sides):
  • 20 baby potatoes (I just used a 1 bag of red potatoes
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
  • 3 Tablespoons dry brown gravy mix
  • 3 Tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 cups potato water
  • 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened (I used more like 2 cups)
  • pinch of cinnamon
Directions
  1. The night before - place roast on a plate (or cutting board - I just used my meat cutting board.  Sprinkle with spices.  Transfer to a roasting pan, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
  2. The next morning:  Remove from fridge.  Preheat oven to 450.  When warm, put roast in oven.  Set timer for 20 minutes.  When timer rings, don't open the oven.  Reduce heat to 180.  Leave in the oven for up to 10 hours (I left it there somewhere around 9 hours.)
  3. 30 minutes before dinner:  Reset oven to 350.  Set timer for 30 minutes.  
  4. Wash potatoes and place in a large pot of cold water.  Bring to a full boil, then reduce heat to low.  Boil until you can easily pierce with a knife.   Drain postato water into a large measuring cup and set aside.  Add butter and rosemary to the potatoes and toss to coat.  Cover to keep warm.  
  5. When the roast is done, transfer to a plate.  Wrap in foil to rest.  Combine gravy mix and water in a cup, then whisk into roasting pan.  Slowly whisk in potato water.  Bring to a boil on high heat stirring continuously.  Reduce heat to simmer.  Keep roast wrapped in foil, but drain juices from plate into roasting pan.  (I had no juices, and I don't have a roasting pan, so I had baked it in a pyrex 9 X 13 - I couldn't use that on the stove, so I just made the gravy in a pot.  It was nothing spectacular because it had no juices, but it was nice to have gravy with the potatoes.)
  6. At this point, she had you make some asparagus, but I had already had asparagus this week, so we just had some canned green beans. 
  7. Combine applesauce and cinnamon to serve with roast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails