Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Roast pork Calypso

I'm a couple of recipes behind this week.  For some reason life has just been busy lately and I've barely gotten around to cooking - let alone blogging it.  I've made some quick meals, and some already blogged favorites, and the ones I have made I haven't managed to blog.  I need to get back into a better pattern of blogging.  I'm going to try and get caught up today.  I just finished adding pictures for what I have blogged in the last 2 weeks, now to finish writing what we made.
This was only yesterday, so it isn't hard to remember.  It comes from the Multicultural cookbook I have out from the library this week.  It is from Jamaica.  I really liked it.  I wasn't really able to make the gravy because I had no drippings from baking the roast, but it really didn't need a gravy.  It was very tasty, tender and juicy.  I liked the flavor of the spices because it was different.

Ingredients

  • 3 pounds lean pork roast (I used a pork loin)
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger (we used a chopped ginger in a jar because I was out of ground)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • salt and pepper to taste - we just put in a sprinkle of each
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325.  With a large meat knife, make crisscross diagonal cuts 1/4 inch deep about 1 inch apart in the fat side of the pork roast.  Place roast, fat side up on rack in roasting pan.  (we put ours on a cooling rack on a cookie sheet because we have no roasting pan.)  
  2. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until golden brown)
  3. Remove roast.  (If you have drippings, pour them into a small saucepan.)  I actually removed the fat from the roast at this point.  I didn't want the glaze on the fat, I wanted it on the meat.
  4. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, garlic, ginger, cloves, salt and pepper.  Add 2 Tablespoons water and stir into paste.  Spread paste over the surface of the roast and return to the oven.  Continue baking 35-45 minutes or until juices run clear.
  5. Transfer roast to cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing
  6. If you had drippings, you can make a gravy by stirring 2 cups chicken broth into the dripping.  Bring that to a boil over medium high heat and reduce heat to low.  Put 2 teaspoons arrowroot into T tablespoon water and stir to make a smooth paste.  Add to broth mixture stirring constantly.  Cook until thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in 3 Tablespoons of lime juice.  (I'm sure this would have been great.  I would have loved to see how the lime flavor worked with it, but I had no drippings, and the pork was wonderful without it so I didn't bother with making the gravy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails