Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Peachy pork chops

This was a great, easy recipe for the crock pot.  It didn't take too long to cook either. I made it in the afternoon which was nice because I could do it when I put the baby down for a nap.  Great time to make dinner.  It also made a nice gravy that was delicious over the pork chops and the potatoes.  I did think the chops were a tiny bit dry, but I used pork loin chops, not regular bone in and the leaner cut of meat usually gets a bit drier.  However, with the gravy, they were wonderful.

I only made 4 chops instead of 6, and the original recipe called for pearl onions which I could not find/didn't want to peel, so I just used a medium onion.  I wrote this the way I made it.


Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 Tablespoons butter (I used more like 3)
  • 4-6 large 1 inch thick pork chops (I only used 4 loin chops - 1 lb 13 oz.)
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 teaspoons dried sage
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 cup peach preserves **
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup beef broth (I used stock), plus 1/4 cup optional (I used the extra)
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (optional- but I used it.)
**The book says to try and find "simply fruit" jam because it has less sugar.  If not, it suggests omitting the brown sugar.  I had a "more fruit" jam that still had sugar, so I cut the brown sugar in 1/2.  I still wanted it there because I thought it would make the onions tasty.

Directions
  1. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.  Dip each chop in flour, coating both sides lightly and shaking off any excess flour.  Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large skilled over medium heat.  Add half the chops (if using 6 - all if they will fit.)  and brown on both sides.  Repeat with the remaining chops.
  2. Put chops in the bottom of a 5-7 quart slow cooker.  Melt remaining butter in same skillet.  Add the onions, sage and sugar.  Saute until the onions begin to turn golden, about 10 minutes.  Add the preserves, vinegar, and 1/4 cup beef broth and stir to blend.  Pour over chops.
  3. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.  
  4. Optional:  To thicken gravy, mix 2 Tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup beef broth.  Add to slow cooker 30 minutes before chops are done.  Cover and cook on high until thickened.  (I cooked my chops on high, and added the cornstarch mix slowly.  It was boiling and thickened quite quickly even without the lid.  That was nice because I hadn't added it 30 minutes early.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails