Sunday, July 4, 2010

Honey-Garlic Ribs with Grilled Veggie Salad

This is also from the Sandi Richard's book I checked out of the library.  I was supposed to make my ribs by cutting them up and putting them in a slow cooker all day, but I didn't get them defrosted yesterday, or out and ready by this morning,.....  So I ended up making them the same way I usually make ribs.  In the oven, in a Extra Large foil pouch.  I did use her sauce which had a good flavor, but I probably should have reapplied it in the oven during the cooking time because the outsides of the ribs were a bit dry.  The middles were great though.  I found the salad to be interesting.  I think I served it the way the author had in mind - grilled veggies over lettuce.  I've never done that, but I liked the combo.  However, the veggies needed salt and/or a bit more salad dressing on the lettuce.  However, I was supposed to have put pesto on my grilled veggies but when I opened my pesto it was moldy, so I just sprinkled them with a little bit of oil and some dried basil.  Pesto would have been better I'm sure.  I'm also just noticing I was supposed to have added an onion to the veggie mix and I didn't.  I don't know how I keep just leaving out ingredients lately.  A little onion would have been good, but A full onion would have been too much.
Here is how I made this today.

Ingredients

  • 2 racks baby back ribs (about 5 lbs)
  • (recipe called for 1 12 oz. jar of honey-garlic sauce.  I could never find it so I made my own with the following as suggested by the book.)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce,
  • 1 Tablespoon molasses,
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon dehydrated onion
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 small zucchini (I used a yellow squash)
  • 1 onion (I forgot this, but would use maybe 1 large (1/2 inch) ring of and onion next time)
  • 10 mushrooms
  • 1 Tablespoon basil pesto  (mine was bad so I used 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon basil  -I'd add 1/2 teaspoon salt as well next time.)
  • 1/2 bag Romaine lettuce (6 oz)  I used 7-8 leaves chopped
  • 1/4 cup salad dressing (I didn't measure, but I probably used less.  I chose and Italian with basil and Parmesan to go with the basil in the grilled veggies.)
Directions

  1.  Heat oven to 400.  Place a large sheet of aluminum foil over a baking sheet.  Peel membrane off the bottom of the ribs and place on foil.  
  2. Whisk together sugar, honey, soy sauce, molasses, garlic, onion flakes and water.  Reserve about 1/2 cup sauce.  Pour the rest over the ribs.  Brushing it all over both sides.  
  3. Cover the ribs with another sheet of foil and fold edges together making a packet of ribs.  Put in the oven.  Set the timer for 1 hour.  
  4. When the timer goes off,put it on for another 30 minutes and light the coals for the grill (I don't suppose you would have to light a gas grill so early.)  Chop the veggies (peppers, onion, mushroom and squash) into a bowl.  Add pesto (or oil and basil) and toss until coated.  Spray a grill wok with cooking spray.  Add veggies.  Place on grill.  Stir and cook until crisp/tender.
  5. Remove ribs from oven.  Brush with reserved sauce and move to grill.  Grill for a few minutes reapplying sauce frequently.  
  6. Chop lettuce (if necessary)  Toss with dressing in a medium bowl.  
  7. Place salad on plates, top with grilled veggies.  Serve with ribs on the side. I also made bread, but it wasn't done until we were through eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails