Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sesame chicken with noodles and snap peas

Another recipe from Dinner Survival by Sandi Richards.  I did make some changes though.  I looked for "sesame snaps (sesame-honey crisps found in candy aisle)" at 3 stores but didn't find them, so I just modified the recipe.  I added honey to my soy sauce and sprinkled it with sesame seeds.
 I'm not sure how the picture in the book looks like she had a glaze on it.  Maybe something about the sesame crisps that I didn't have, not sure.  Mine didn't look glazed and I added honey to the soy sauce -go figure.
  I also cut the amount of curry powder in the pasta in half.  That was perfect for our family (actually most of the kids still didn't like it, but it was the perfect amount of curry for those who liked it - enough to taste it, but not so much that it overpowered the flavor of the chicken.  I also really liked the peas with the cashews.  I would never have thought to do that.

Here is how I made it.

Ingredients

  • 8 chicken thighs, boneless skinless (1 3/4 lbs - mine were just over this)
  • 1 Tablsepoon soy sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder (not sure how much I used I just sprinkled)
  • 1 teaspoon ginger powder (also not sure how much I used, I just sprinkled, but I did use less ginger than garlic)
  • 1 lb snap peas (I had 1 1/4)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • 3/4 lb spaghetti pasta (I used German egg noodles because I had some that needed to be used)
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon curry
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400.  Spray a large oven-safe pan with cooking spray (I used a 9 X 13)
  2. Mix 1 Tablespoon soy sauce with 1 Tablespoon honey in a small bowl.  Place chicken thighs in prepared pan and drizzle with soy/honey sauce.  Flip with a fork until well coated, then flatten to a single layer.  Sprinkle with garlic and ginger.  Place in oven.  Set timer for 20 minutes
  3. Rinse snap peas and add to a large non-stick frying pan or wok.  Drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle with cashews.  Toss to coat and let stand.  Fill a large pot with water, bring water to a boil.
  4. When the timer rings, leave chicken in the oven.  Reduce heat to 350.  Reset timer for 12 minutes.
  5. Heat veggies the pan at medium, tossing occasionally.  Add pasta to water when it starts to boil and set timer for 1 minute less that package directions say.
  6. When pasta is ready, rinse in colander and set aside (leave in colander) Add chicken broth, curry and honey to the pasta pot and bring to a boil.  Return pasta to pat, turn heat off, gently toss to coat.  Cover to keep hot until chicken is ready.
  7. Peas are ready when tender but crunchy.  Serve chicken on pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails