Monday, July 19, 2010

Chocolate loves Vanilla Bread

So this is another recipe from the same book as the Challah I tried the other day.  This recipe is from my King Arthur bread book.  I'm actually super slow in adding this.  I started writing it on 7/5.  It is now 7/19 and I'm adding pictures but only have a draft of this with 1 line typed?  Oops.
This bread was delicious!!  Sweet, but not too sweet.  Delicious.
 It also used an egg like the Challah I had made, but this bread gave me no problems.  I made the dough, but DH actually baked it.  He made it in our silicon pan.  I'm not a huge fan of that pan, but the bread turned out fine.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup milk, heated to lukewarm
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tablespoons orange juice
  • 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in cubes
  • 2 cups (8 oz.) whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups (6 3/8 oz) unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
Topping Ingredients
  • 3 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions
  1. Place chocolate chips in the bowl of a food processor.  Process until coarsely chopped and covered with a coating of ground chocolate.  Set aside
  2. Combine all the ingredients except the chopped chocolate in a mixer bowl and knead until you have a soft, smooth dough.  Cover and allow to rise until nearly doubled in bulk, (1-2 hours)  Lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
  3. Gently deflate dough and knead in reserved chips. Shape into a flat ball and place it in the prepared pan, flattening to reach the edges of the pan.  Cover and let rise until the center reaches the height of the pan (1 1/4-2 1/2 hours)  Preheat oven to 350.
  4.  Combine topping ingredients stirring until the sugar is suspended in the liquid, even if it hasn't dissolved.  Drizzle this mixture over the top of the risen bread.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes.  Tent lightly with foil and continue baking until deep golden brown with internal temp of 190. (15-20 minutes more)  Remove from oven and after 5 minutes carefully turn it out of the pan and transfer to a rack to cool.  (I'm pretty sure we tented this first because that is what DH did.  I think I took it off for the second half of the cooking, but I wouldn't swear to it.  All I remember is that it was delicious and I would definitely make it again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails