Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Stuffed Chicken Parmigiana

I was interested to try this one because I love Italian especially red sauce type Italian food, so I love Chicken Parmigiana.  This was a slow cooker version, I thought that would be different.  The other thing that piqued my interest was that it used some different cheese - fontina and parmigiano reggiano (which I actually bought rather than subbed out.)  I really liked the chicken, but the sauce could have been way better.  I think part of the problem is the crushed tomatoes I used.  I wasn't a fan of their flavor.  It was good enough the first day - the chicken really did help make up for the sauce.  It was especially delicious in the spots with lots of the bread crumb mix.  I wished I would have put even more in each roll.

If making this again, I would definitely use a different sauce.  Maybe my pizza marinara, or my spaghetti, or even HEB jarred marinara would have been tastier.  I'd also try to actually get all of the bread crumbs into the chicken.
This recipe again comes from the Slow cooker book I have checked out of the library.
Ingredients

  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped (I only used a medium)
  • pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine (didn't have this used sherry)
  • one 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, undrained
  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt  (I'm sure I didn't use this much.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup fresh bread crumbs - (I used canned Italian style)
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus additional for garnishing
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded Fontina cheese
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley (I don't think I used quite that much.)
Directions
  1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion, red pepper flakes, oregano and basil and saute until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes.  Add the wine and boil until reduced to about 2 Tablespoons.  Pour into a 5-7 quart slow cooker.  Add the tomatoes and stir to combine.  
  2. Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/4-1/2 inch.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Combine the egg, bread crumbs, cheeses, and parsley in a small bowl.
  3. Spread the mixture over the chicken breasts and roll the chicken up.  Carefully place chicken in tomato sauce.  Cover and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours until the chicken is cooked through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails