Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Oven baked wild rice pancake with berries

I have made way too many new breakfasts this week.  This one got made today because I made wild and brown rice last night to go with our potstickers.  Of course I made the wild and brown rice so I could make this dish.  It has been on my things I want to try page for a while but I've just been waiting until I made the rice. So, here it is.  I'm typing as it cooks.  Hoping it turns out well.  It kind of started to remind me a little of some sort of rice pudding with the cinnamon smell.  I also have a rice pudding recipe with brown rice and lemon, so I'm looking forward to trying this new dish.  I found the recipe on Sparkrecipes.  I actually have no idea how I came across it.  Maybe looking at breakfasts on my iphone ap?  It isn't a rated recipe over there or anything, and I would not have gone searching for it, so who knows.  I'm happy to try it though because it is different and looks pretty good and nutritious.  I didn't change much.  Just left out 1 Tablespoon of oil because I had a medium banana instead of a large.  I also used skim milk rather than soy because that is what I have on hand.
The flavor was good.  A little tangy with the lemon, but not too bad.  I may sweeten the bottom a tiny bit more, but not much.  Cooking time was ridiculous this way though, I would want to fiddle with this recipe to get it to work out better.  (see ideas below.)

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups wild and brown rice
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 1 medium banana, mashed
  • 1 cup milk (I used skim)
Fruit mix ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons flax seed
  • 3 cups blueberries and raspberries (I used 1 1/2 cup each.  They were frozen)
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1 lemon, zest and juice
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375.  Mix fruit mix ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
  2. Mix rice, flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in another bowl.  Add milk, egg yolks and banana and stir until well combined.  In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold egg yolks into rice mixture.
  3. Spray a 9X9 in pan with cooking spray (Mine was 8 X 8)  Pour berry mix in the bottom of the pan.  Pour rice mixture over the berries.  Bake for 30 minutes or until pancake has puffed and knife inserted into the center comes out clean.  (I ended up baking this for 65 or 75 minutes - I lost track.  I did 5 more, 5 more, 10 more, then some more 5 mores.  My knife still wasn't totally clean, but it was fine.  I'm sure it took longer because of a lot of reasons - different size pan, skim milk not soy, and frozen berries to name a few.)



Notes for next time - 
Try upping the recipe 


  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour -go with 1-1.25 cup
  • 2 cups wild and brown rice - 3 cups
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon - maybe a bit more, but not much
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar - make 2.5 of brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, separated -possible 3
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 1 medium banana, mashed
  • 1 cup milk (I used skim) still 1 cup?
Fruit mix ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons flax seed
  • 3 cups blueberries and raspberries (I used 1 1/2 cup each.  They were frozen) - use 4
  • 1/8 cup sugar - + 1/8 cup splenda
  • 1 lemon, zest and juice -same
Use a 9X13 pan - do that and partially thaw the berries to see if it will help decrease cooking time.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails