Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Kidney bean tuna salad

Yet another recipe from allrecipes.com.  I picked it and put it in the menu, then it never looked good, but there was no way I had time to make the other option for dinner, so this won last night.  I was plenty glad it did because it turned out delicious.  I did change some things a bit, but nothing massive.   Reduced the oil, didn't add cilantro, doubled it, used limes instead of lemons because that is what I had etc.  I really was surprised at how much I liked this.  I loved the texture of the beans in the salad, and the flavors went together so well.  I was afraid it would be too much dill, that I wouldn't like the olives, etc.  Not so.   I liked everything about it.  I ended up just wrapping mine in the large piece of lettuce I dished it on and eating it as a wrap.  Yum!



Ingredients

  • 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 5 oz. cans water-packed tuna, drained
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (we used white cheddar)
  • 6 Tablespoons chopped olives (probably about 1 small can, but I didn't have any)
  • 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
Dressing Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
  • 4 teaspoons lime juice (I kind of overflowed all of my teaspoons though.)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Optional ingredients for serving
  • Lettuce leaves, or pitas, or bread
Directions
  1. In a bowl, combine first 6 ingredients.  Whisk dressing ingredients in a bowl until well combined.  Stir everything together and serve on lettuce.  (or as a sandwich, or in pitas.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails