Sunday, April 4, 2010

bean tortilla with honduran butter

This is another recipe from Healthy Latin cooking. I mostly followed the instructions ;). I don't know why I never seem to follow the directions lately. I don't want it too spicy, I'd rather just use 1 can of beans, I have low fat cheese, I'd rather make it easier with cole slaw mix..... I'm full of excuses, but I guess if I actually followed the directions I wouldn't need a blog to keep track of what I did.

I made this with tapas meatballs the other day. Both were appetizers, but together with a veggie, they made out dinner. They were well liked, and the family was disappointed that there wasn't more. I'd make more next time. (9 star)


Ingredients
  • 1 15 oz can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1-2 rings of onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Slaw

  • 3 cole slaw mix
  • 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
  • 2 Tablespoons vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

8 Tortillas (pretty sure this only made 6 - 1 for everyone.)

"Butter" ingredients

  • 1 ounce feta
  • 2 ounces low fat cream cheese
  • 3/4 cup fat free sour cream

Directions

Filling: Combine beans, onions, garlic, cumin and stock. Bring to boil, reduce head and simmer for 4 minutes or until all of the stock has been absorbed. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Mash beans with back of spoon

Slaw: Combine vinggar, suger, salt, pepper, and jalapeno. Whisk together. Add coleslaw mix and toss to coat.

Butter: Combine ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth.

Warm tortillas. Place 3 Tablespoons beans in each tortilla. Roll up like a burrito. Serve topped with slaw and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails