Thursday, April 8, 2010

BBQ salmon, fruit salsa, pita chips.

Man, I thought I would get away with not writing out this recipe, but then I started looking at my changes and decided I should write things out since I made a good deal of them. The original recipe is from The Family Dinner Fix by Sandi Richard Changes I made include - adding a bit of fruit to the salsa, changing seasonings, changing the way I cooked things..... - enough to need to write out my changes for next time. This was a great meal other than the fact that I don't think I cooked the salmon long enough. It seemed a bit slimy - not sure if it was cooking time or just that I let it sit to long before serving because I wasn't done with the salsa, but that was the only thing I didn't like about the recipe and I'm sure it is fixable. I'm just not an expert fish cooker because until recently we hardly ever ate fish because it isn't a favorite of mine, and I've always left the fish cooking up to Brandon. This was good though. Even Tavio who isn't a fish lover rated the salmon 7 out of 10. That is saying something. Of course Duncan my fish lover looked like he was the most deprived child on earth when he thought that his dad had taken all of the seconds and not left him any.

Salmon Ingredients


  • 2 lb salmon filet
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon no salt garlic and herb seasoning mix (I used to use Mrs. Dash garlic and herb, but ran out and they didn't have any at the store, so now I have a McCormick.)
  • 1 teaspoon grushed rosemary leaves
  • 1/8 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1/8 cup mayonaisse
  • 1/4 teaspoon splenda
  • 2-3 Tablespoons brown sugar

Directions


Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix dijon mustard and mayo and splenda in another bowl. (I was trying to make a milder mustard here can you tell?) Rinse salmon and pat dry with paper towel. One one side only, rub salmon with spice mix. Spread mustard mixture over spices. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Grill 10-15 minutes or until it flakes with a fork. In the book this was served over an apple juice reduction made by boiling 1 cup apple juice with a squeeze of lemon until reduced by 1/2. I made it but with lime. Not sure it was worth it. I can't say that it added much to the overall meal.


Baked Pita Chips Ingredients and directions


Spray 4-6 pitas with butter flavor spray. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Cook at 350 until crisp. (The book said 250 for 8 minutes but that was not even close to what it needed. I did 8, then 8 again, then turned up the oven and did at least 8 more, but I think I did another 3 after that.) I'm thinking you could also broil these, and I know I've made chips like this from tortillas but can't remember exactly what I did. These didn't turn out as crispy as I would have liked. I had thought about dividing them in half before seasoning and baking, but I didn't, maybe I should have. I also used my nice home made pitas, which may have made a difference because they are a little thicker than normal. The picture in the book has some of the thinnest pitas I've ever seen. Next time I think I would just use tortillas. I did love the cinnamon flavor with the fruit salsa though. Yum!


Fruit salsa ingredients



  • 2 large granny smith apples, chopped finely
  • 1 lb strawberries, hulled and chopped finely
  • 2 kiwis, chopped finely
  • 1 orange
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon grape jelly

Directions


Mix, apples, strawberries and kiwis in a bowl. Add the zest of the orange. Juice the orange into a small bowl. Add the brown sugar and jelly. Whisk until smooth. Add the juice mixture to the fruit and toss to mix.



This meal actually had no veggie with it which is strange for this book (one of the things I love about it - complete meals.) It did have plenty of fruit, but I wanted a veggie so looking at the nice colors in the salad, I decided nice orange carrots would look pretty with the meal. (Not to mention the fact that all I had to do was grab a bag of baby carrots, open them and serve. I was all about easy after chopping all of that fruit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails