Friday, April 16, 2010

Black Forest Brownie Squares

I can't believe it has been almost a week since I posted anything here. Being without a computer will do that too you. First I was just behind in pictures, now it's the whole blog. Luckily for my catching up, I've not cooked as much as usual due to the fact that I have also been without a dishwasher for 3 weeks. Happily, we got the new one installed yesterday, so I can get back to my normal amount of cooking now that my amount of clean up time will go down dramatically.
I made these Brownies last Sunday for choir practice. They were pretty simple, and yummy. They are from the Nestle best-loved cookie book. I love that book. I used to have it in book and magazine form, but I gave the magazine away since I had the book. I really haven't been disappointed by any of the recipes in there. (And I have found disappointing cookie, bar, and brownie recipes elsewhere.)


Ingredients

  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups cool whip, thawed
  • 2 cups (21 oz can) cherry pie filling

Directions
  1. Melt 1 cup chips and butter in a large, heavy saucepan over lowest possible heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in eggs. Gradually stir in flour, granulated sugar, vanilla and baking soda. Stir in remaining chips. Spread into greaste 9X13 pan.
  2. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes (took mine more like 35) or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Spread with cool whip. Top with pie filling. Cut into squares.

I dished the topping on individual brownies. 1 can didn't last for the entire pan. I thought about cutting up some strawberries, tossing them with a little sugar and putting them on the top the next day, but we just ended up eating them with no topping. They were still a tasty brownie. 9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails